To be considred for this position, please apply on our job board.
The Department of Ecology
has an exciting opportunity for someone starting their career in Human Resources who has a passion for finding creative solutions and working with multiple internal and external partners.
The successful candidate for the Human Resources Consultant 1 position will be part of the training, diversity, and recruitment teams, and will be exposed to multiple HR disciplines. We are looking for a creative, collaborative problem solver who wants to learn and grow as part of a dynamic HR team. Join us as we work toward our vision of being recognized as the nation's leading environmental workforce.
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington's environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism and accountability.
This position will be based at our headquarters in Lacey, Washington
To learn more about The Department of Ecology, please visit our website at www.ecy.wa.gov
and check us out on Twitter
or our blog
This position contributes to meeting the mission of the agency and the Human Resources Office (HRO) by serving as a training and recruitment consultant providing entry level human resource training and recruitment services and performing administrative human resource functions related to such services in order to ensure excellent customer service levels within the training and recruitment units and the HR Program.
Some of the key activities of this position include:
- Assists more senior level Human Resource Training Consultants to provide Learning Management System (LMS) support; creates classes in LMS and checks for accuracy, provides first tier LMS technical support, prepares class sign in sheets, and answers general training questions from agency staff.
- Assists with the service delivery of training workshops; copies sign in sheets and evaluations, scores and records class evaluations, assists instructors with room set up, prepares class handouts, works with regional staff for remote training service delivery, and helps maintain training rooms.
- Assists in resolving customer service issues related to training services.
- Updates the training SharePoint site as directed by more senior HR Training Consultant staff or Recruiting, Training and Diversity Manager (RTD Manager).
- Coordinates and schedules customized training events across the state for Environmental Programs, regions, and HQ.
- Under the general direction of the Recruiting, Training and Diversity Manager, analyzes annual Performance Development Plans and Individual Development Plans for alignment with principles taught in supervisor and manager trainings. Presents findings to HR management and Executive management.
- Under the general direction of the Recruiting, Training and Diversity Manager, assists in coordinating and organizing Washington state Request for Proposal (RFP) and Request for Qualifications (RFQQ) processes and procedures in order to direct buy training, organizational development, and mediation services from qualified training service providers.
- Serves as a professional level back up to more senior HR Training Consultants.
- Supports the Human Resource Consultants in Recruitment by posting all open positions to a minimum of 8 external recruitment sources per position.
- Develops effective partnerships with internal and external recruiting sources.
- Documents and organizes the new and existing recruiting resources gathered from recruiting needs assessments on a team SharePoint site in order to make these options available to other Hiring Managers and other Human Resource Consultants in Recruitment as new positions arise.
- Communicates with Hiring Managers regarding the effectiveness of recruitment strategies by open position. Tracks applicant responses to open positions and advocates for more outreach on open positions with small applicant pools.
- Provides desk-side, just-in-time coaching for proper use of NEOGOV by Hiring Managers as required.
- Closes out filled positions on external websites and in NEOGOV. Communicates with Hiring Managers by reporting the number of views of the position while in the market.
- Updates the Recruiting SharePoint site as directed by more senior HR Recruiting Consultant staff or the RTD Manager.
- Meets weekly with the recruitment team to discuss the current state of open recruitments.
- Acts as a professional level back up to the HR Recruiting Consultants to coordinate job fairs, takes on open recruitments during workload peak, or employee absence, and communicates with recruitment sources as needed.
- Assists with recruiting and retention projects as needed.
This position will remain open until filled. The initial screening will be May 8, 2019. In order to be considered for the initial screening, please submit an application on or before May 7, 2019. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
A Bachelor's degree with focus on business, human resources, social or organizational behavioral sciences, or related field
4 years of equivalent education/ experience.
Equivalent experience may include a combination of the following:
- Responds to inquiries from employees, managers, and members of the public; assesses needs, identifies and evaluates options, and recommends courses of action
- Receives, reviews, responds to and/or assists in resolving customer inquiries.
- Provides benefits information to employees and retirees; enrolls employees in retirement and insurance programs
- Composes correspondence; maintains records and statistics; analyzes and compiles data and information for reports; prepares narrative or statistical reports
- Develops and/or assists in the development and presentation of training materials
- Conducts surveys of other employers' practices such as wages, benefits, human resource policies and programs, and participates in implementing revisions to human resource programs
- Supervises or directs the work of support staff.
- Prior HR training consulting experience.
- Prior professional level recruiting experience.
- SHRM or IPMA certificate.
Special Requirements/Conditions of Employment
Must obtain and maintain a valid driver's license.