Looking to make a difference? Now's your chance! We are looking for people to help us plan, build and run one of the largest regional transit systems in the country. So if you like to be challenged, work in a fast-paced environment and have a passion for transportation, check out our current job openings. We offer a competitive benefits package, and a chance to have a positive impact on the environment and our region's quality of life.
The Fare Enforcement Officer is responsible for inspecting customer fares on the Sound Transit Light Rail system and Sounder Trains and King County Metro Rapid Ride lines to ensure customers are riding with valid passes. This is accomplished by inspecting tickets and passes, taking enforcement actions when appropriate, and dealing with customers who may potentially become uncooperative.
- The functions listed describe the business purpose of this job. Specific duties or tasks may vary and be documented separately. The employee might not be required to perform all functions listed. Additional duties may be assigned, and functions may be modified, according to business necessity.
- All assigned duties or tasks are deemed to be part of the essential functions, unless such duties or tasks are unrelated to the functions listed, in which case they are deemed to be other (non-essential) functions.
- Employees are held accountable for successful job performance. Job performance standards may be documented separately, and may include functions, objectives, duties or tasks not specifically listed herein.
- In performing functions, duties or tasks, employees are required to know and follow safe work practices, and to be aware of company policies and procedures related to job safety, including safety rules and regulations. Employees are required to notify superiors upon becoming aware of unsafe working conditions.
- All functions, duties or tasks are to be carried out in an honest, ethical and professional manner, and to be performed in conformance with applicable company policies and procedures. In the event of uncertainty or lack of knowledge of company policies and procedures, employees are required to request clarification or explanations from superiors or authorized company representatives.
1. Conducts fare inspections on light rail vehicles or at assigned locations for validity, proper time and date, month, year and authenticity.
2. Prepares and submits applicable reports when required.
3. Assists customers with purchasing tickets from Ticket Vending Machines.
4. Reports disruptive behavior on the system or property to local law enforcement.
5. Performs any additional duties as assigned by the Director/Manager/Supervisor of Security and Fare Enforcement.
Minimum Qualifications at Entry:
1. 21 years or older
2. High School Diploma or GED
3. Reliable means of communication
4. Reliable means of transportation
5. Able to pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check
6. Effective communication skills (written and verbal English)
7. Use of personal computer and standard office productivity software, including word processing and spreadsheet applications
8. Acceptable personal appearance
9. Valid Washington State Driver’s License or ability to obtain
10. Prior Security
Bachelor’s degree preferred, or 3+ years of experience in a security, military, law enforcement or emergency services position. The candidate will also need to have 1+ years managerial experience in one or more of the following areas: security/military operations, service planning, service development or related operational field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to perform the essential functions of the job, as determined by the company. Or equivalent combination of education / experience. Advanced SharePoint knowledge and skill is highly desired.
Competencies (as demonstrated through experience, training, and/or testing):
1. Must be able to meet and continue to meet any applicable WA state, county and municipal licensing requirements for Security Officers.
2. Knowledge of or ability to learn security operations and procedures.
3. Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form.
4. Ability to be an effective team member.
5. Ability to maintain professional composure when dealing with unusual circumstances.
6. Courteous telephone manner.
7. Ability to adapt to changes in the external environment and organization.
8. Ability to write routine correspondence, including logs and reports.
9. Good organizational skills.
10. Ability to provide high quality customer service.
11. Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively at various social levels and across diverse cultures.
WORKING CONDITIONS (Physical/Mental Demands):
With or without reasonable accommodation, requires the physical and mental capacity to perform effectively all essential functions. In addition to other demands, the demands of the job include:
1. Maintaining composure in dealing with authorities, executives, clients, staff and the public, occasionally under conditions of urgency and in pressure situations.
2. May be exposed to stressful situations, such as challenging individuals who are in or approaching an unauthorized area.
3. Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, controlled substance testing, and behavioral selection survey, in addition to any mandatory licensing requirements.
4. May be required to work overtime without advance notice.
5. Required ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
6. Seeing, hearing, speaking, and writing clearly in order to communicate with employees and clients, observe and report incidents, and direct others.
7. Frequent sitting, standing and walking, which may be required for long periods of time, and may involve climbing stairs and walking up inclines and on uneven terrain.
8. Occasional reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling.
9. Frequent lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds and occasional lifting and/or moving up to 25 pounds.
10. Close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
11. May be required to use company vehicle in the performance of duties.
12. On occasion may be required to perform stressful and physical activity.
13. Depending upon assignment may be exposed to inclement weather or be required to work in environments or under conditions that require the use of protective gear and devices and/or awareness of personal safety and safety of others.
14. May be exposed to or required to handle sensitive and confidential information.