What we do In partnership with parents and community, we will provide a comprehensive educational experience that is rigorous, individualized and enables students to contribute to a changing and diverse world. What we want to be We will be an outstanding school district in which all students exhibit high standards of achievement and critical thinking skills, and are socially responsible, contributing members of their community.
Tacoma Public Schools
Substitute Bus Driver
Hourly Rate: $20.25 per hour
This on-call position operates school buses to transport students and other authorized persons on all types of district approved activities.
1. Drives a school bus on scheduled routes and/or on all types of district approved activities inside and outside district boundaries.
2. Services, inspects and cleans school buses and related equipment to ensure compliance with state and district regulations.
3. Maintains control of student passengers as related to safety; reports unsafe acts or conditions which require the attention of any person other than driver.
4. Completes forms, records and reports to ensure compliance with state and district regulations.
5. Attends meetings and completes any training programs as required by the state and the district; maintains current knowledge of all laws and policies established by the state.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
1. Performs basic first aid as necessary.
2. Provides assistance in loading and unloading students from bus; assists passengers in evacuating bus in emergency situations.
3. Performs related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High school graduation or equivalent, three years of driving experience, and completion of bus driver training programs; or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of state and district policies regarding school bus transportation.
Knowledge of basic first aid and CPR.
Skill in obtaining, clarifying and exchanging information.
Ability to physically move in an overturned bus and assist students.
Ability to operate communications equipment.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people in a multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting.
Required Licenses/Special Requirements:
Valid Washington State driver’s license and commercial driver’s license with proof of acceptable driving record for the past three years and appropriate endorsement for driving a school bus.
First aid and CPR card or required to obtain within first 30 days of employment.
Must be 21 years of age.
Required to pass a U.S. DOT physical.
Must continue compliance with State Board of Education Requirements for Bus Drivers (WAC 180-20).
May be required to work outdoors in inclement weather.
To apply, please visit: www.tacomaschools.org/careers