Alaska Marine Lines is the leading marine transportation company providing barge service to and from Alaska and Hawaii. Benefits include: Amazing medical, dental and vision; Employer contribution towards spouse & dependent coverage; Matching contributions for 401(k); Defined contribution retirement plan; Flexible spending account; Employee assistance program; Group term life insurance; Long term disability and more. *Summary of benefits is offered to full time employees after waiting period and is subject to change at any time.
Alaska Marine Lines, the leading marine transportation company providing barge service to and from Alaska and Hawaii. We offer a stable and set work schedule that gives you a life outside of work. Having not had a single layoff in 35+ years, we offer you job stability in a career that can take you to retirement. Competitive pay and great benefits with a solid company that cares about its employees makes AML the place for you.
SUMMARY: Loads, unloads and transfers cargo from trucks, warehouse, equipment, and customer vehicles to facilitate the shipment of freight to, from and within Alaska.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
* Operate up to a 6000# forklift to receive, deliver or load palletized/unitized cargo shipments. Handle loose shipments as required.
* Interface with customers by giving instructions, direction and assistance on procedures for handling cargo shipments and preparing the Bill of Lading.
* Count, inspect and check markings on inbound and outbound cargo shipments for receiving or delivering those shipments per the requirements of the Bill of Lading.
* Count, weigh and verify actual shipment to the Bill of Lading.
* Load and unload materials onto or from pallets as efficiently as possible, by hand or forklift.
* Ensures proper securing and blocking to prevent damage in transit. Secure shipments to avoid movement within a variety of equipment with banding, dunnage, lumber, binders or chains.
* Consolidate customer shipments as efficiently as possible by port, temperature, size and other variables as required.
* Load shipments to containers and/or platforms utilizing judgment for efficiency in keeping with the nature of the cargo involved.
* Inspect, clean and sweep out equipment as needed prior to reloading with cargo.
* Assist in the maintenance of company property, to include sweeping of warehouse floor, equipment, and other service center facility housekeeping duties as required.
* Work in other departments as needed.
* Ensure compliance with all federal, state, local regulations as well as company policy and standards
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and physical demands in the work environment.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or GED preferred. Previous forklift certification, freight operations and warehouse experience preferred.
A post conditional offer of employment physical, drug test and background investigation are required. Random drug testing is required of all Alaska Marine Lines employees.
Alaska Marine Lines, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or national origin.
Veterans and Minorities are encouraged to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Priority referrals for protected veterans.
BENEFITS: Benefits include:
Time off benefits - 8 paid holidays, 17 days paid time off (PTO) and extended leave paid time.
Health - Complete benefit plan including medical, dental, vision and flexible spending accounts
Health for your family – we contribute towards medical, dental and vision for your spouse and dependents
401(k) - we match of up to 50% of your first 6% contribution after 1 year of service
Additional retirement contribution – we add an annual contribution equal to 3% of your pay after 1 year of service
Tuition Reimbursement - Up to 50% of tuition and books with a maximum of $3,500 per fiscal year
Employee assistance program – free and confidential counseling and problem solving to deal with life
Life Insurance and AD&D – we provide at no cost to you
Long term disability – we provide at no cost to you