Alaska Marine Lines is the leading marine transportation company providing barge service to and from Alaska and Hawaii. Benefits include: Amazing medical, dental and vision; Employer contribution towards spouse & dependent coverage; Matching contributions for 401(k); Defined contribution retirement plan; Flexible spending account; Employee assistance program; Group term life insurance; Long term disability and more. *Summary of benefits is offered to full time employees after waiting period and is subject to change at any time.
Alaska West Express provides truckload transportation throughout the United States and Canada, specializing in shipments to and from Alaska, where we are the leader in transporting liquid- and dry-bulk products, hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals and petroleum products. Partnering with Alaska's oilfield operators and suppliers, we furnish dependable transportation in a harsh climate. Our skilled drivers safely deliver heavy equipment, mining supplies, oil well drilling materials and production compounds. Your transportation challenges are met utilizing some of the industry's most experienced personnel including dispatchers, drivers, mechanics and freight handlers.
Assist Operations with coordinating all line haul, city dispatch or yard activities including related paperwork, communications and customer service activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
(Other duties may be assigned)
* Consistent attendance and timeliness are essential functions of this position.
* Coordinates freight operations through driver dispatch, equipment maintenance and yard operations.
* Searches various freight finding tools such as DAT and Internet Truck Stop to find suitable loads achieving minimum rate per mile and repositioning requirements.
* Coordinates daily operations by taking customer calls and or contacting customers and dispatching loads from pick up through destination. Determines work sequence and material shipping dates, type, volume and destination.
* Prepares driver and equipment schedules to maintain compliance with load requirements, driver hours of service regulations and equipment maintenance scheduled to ensure efficiency of operations.
* Adheres to the safety policy of AWE and complies with the standards set forth by OSHA, federal, state and local laws. Monitors employee and Owner Operator compliance with company policy on traffic laws and hours of service regulations. Promotes safe and efficient operations within the terminal.
* Directs workers in transportation or related services, moving, storing and loading/unloading of material.
* Prepares driver bill of ladings.
* Records, traces and enters information on company computer system as required.
* Prepares, compiles and submits reports on work activities, operations, production and inventory as needed.
* May assist in special projects as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Transportation or logistics education or experience preferred.
Ability to read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with co-workers, supervisors and managers, to understand procedures and warning signs and or markings in the English language, to respond to inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as governmental regulations, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Have the ability to write reports and interact in professional business correspondence. The ideal candidate will have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from Managers, clients, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
High skills: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to work independently, handle a variety of tasks at one time. Speak in public. Extreme working knowledge of regulatory requirements. Computer skills include Word, Excel, Power Point and Access.
Operates other simple business machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, see and hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
Position is located in a non-smoking facility.
Alaska West Express Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Must pass a pre-employment drug test, background check and physical.
To apply for this position, please use the following URL: