Contracts Specialist 2
**This posting is open until filled and may be used to fill multiple positions. The Hiring Manager reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time.**
We believe that diverse communities must be centered in the work that we do. Hence, we strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply.
Who we are:
The Department of Enterprise Services (DES) is a central service organization, providing support and services for state agencies, cities and municipalities, higher education, vendors, and the citizens of the state of Washington. At DES, we passionately pursue our vision of:
- Satisfied customers,
- Satisfied team members, and
- Financial health.
We listen to customers and team members to understand what they need and expect. We promote creativity, learning, and improvement to meet those needs and adapt to the ever-changing business environment. We measure our results and seek feedback to improve our performance. We value respect, integrity, excellence, diversity and inclusion, and seek new team members that share those values.
Who we are looking for:
As a Contracts Specialist 2
within the Contracts and Procurement (C&P) Division, you will be relied upon to utilize your strategic and critical thinking skills to provide both internal and external contracting and procurement support and services to DES, state agencies, higher education and political subdivisions. An essential element of the job is the ability to analyze, interpret and apply data in order to maintain strategic and tactical contracting decisions. We want someone that is an instant contributor and is ready to work collaboratively with a team towards the mission of C&P to effectively provide innovative business solutions and services to our customers. You will need to have a good understanding of what customer needs are and will be able to use your background & experience in government contracting to meet or preferably exceed our customer expectations. You will be in a rapidly changing environment and will participate in a process of continuous improvement for yourself, your team, and DES. As someone who seeks creative solutions that drive change, you will have your own unique skillsets and will get to create and be a part of working teams that bring the best of our individual abilities to the table to find solutions.Allow us to explain why you, a skilled professional, would want this unique job:
Do you want the opportunity to step into a role where you can become a professional in contracts within a team that supports your growth and development? Do you love to be challenged and enjoy a variety of contracting duties that have a big impact on citizens in the state of Washington? Do you want to be surrounded with the most talented and agile professionals that are equally passionate about contracts and providing outstanding customer service to a diversified population? If you want to work in a place that truly values you and your ideas to improve processes that allow us to exceed our customer expectations, this opportunity might be the right fit for you.In addition to a comprehensive benefits package, we also offer:
- A work location close to downtown Olympia (where you have access to the water front, Farmer's Market, Capitol Lake and the Capitol Campus)
- Wellness activities, including internal exercise classes and a work location close to the Chehalis bike trail and on-premise bike lockers and shower rooms
- A cafeteria in the building
- Bus service (including the free DASH shuttle) and Vanpool (commuting) opportunities
- Mobile and flexible work opportunities
- An Infants in the Workplace program
- MANY opportunities to promote within the agency
Some of what you will enjoy doing:
- Independently solicit low and medium complexity commodities, focusing on best value awards
- Consult with customers and vendors to achieve business objectives through understanding markets, commodities, and applying best value procurement concepts
- Use project management methods and techniques to plan and manage solicitations and assigned projects
- Solicit high complexity commodities with mentorship or supervisory oversight
- With some supervision, coordinate with stakeholders and customers to define requirements
- Create professional, technical, and legally compliant documents following RCW, policy, procedure and guidelines
- With oversight, conduct negotiations with parties to any contract or agreement on terms and conditions, pricing, etc
- Perform analysis of proposals for technical requirements and cost factors
- Interact directly with customers and vendors to address vendor performance management to insure contract compliance and correct issues
- Write corrective actions (cure, suspension, termination) and contract amendments
- Actively participate in reviewing and monitoring program policies, procedures and guidelines for improvement; including bringing ideas for change forward proactively
- Bachelor's degree involving major study in public administration, business administration, business law, commerce, economics, mathematics, statistics or closely allied field;
- Two (2) years of experience in negotiating, administering or terminating government contracts, contract property management, contract cost or price analysis, or contract compliance administration;
- Valid driver's license when operating a state or privately owned vehicle on official state business.
- Additional qualifying experience may be substituted, year for year, for the required education.
- A Master's degree in one of the above academic disciplines may be substituted for one (l) year of experience
- A law degree from an accredited college or university approved by the Washington State Bar Association may be substituted for the required experience and education
Other required competencies:
- Computer Skills: Efficient in Microsoft Office Suite (or equivalent)
- Ability to learn unique systems (PCMS, ECMS, WEBS)
- Accountability and Self-Management
- Customer Focus - customers and their needs are a primary focus of one's actions
- Adaptability & Flexibility: Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment
- Communication: Clearly conveys information and ideas
- Uses effective listening skills to understand and learn from what others say
- Leadership and Teamwork: Promotes organizational mission and goals and shows the way to achieve them
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM)
- Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB)
You must provide the information below; failure to do so may result in not being considered for this position:
- A letter of interest to describe why you are the best candidate and how you meet the specific qualifications for this position;
- Current resume, detailing experience, and education; and
- A current list of at least three (3) professional references with current contact information (attached or available to provide at the time of interview)
By submitting these materials, you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
Note: This position is in a bargaining unit and falls under the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the state of Washington and the Washington Federation for State Employees (WFSE).
Prior to any new appointment into the Department of Enterprise Services, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wish to claim Veteran's Preference MUST attach a copy of their DD214, or other verification of military service. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers. For additional information on Veteran's Preference and guidance on how to determine if you are eligible, click here.
Military Spouse Preference:
To take advantage of military spouse preference, you will have an opportunity to identify your status in the questionnaire.
We thank you and are grateful for your service!
The Department of Enterprise Services celebrates our differences and we are committed to a workplace that supports equal opportunity employment and inclusion regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We will also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Persons with a disability, who need assistance with their application or need this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our organization.
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact Jennifer McWaid at (360) 407-8210 or email@example.com.