Please apply online at:
The Department of Ecology's priority during the Covid-19 health crisis is to keep our staff, candidates, and the public safe. We are still hiring and encourage you to apply to open positions. The majority of our staff are currently working from home; we have transitioned to a virtual recruitment process, to include web-based interviews.
Keeping Washington Clean and Evergreen
Protecting Washington State's environment for current and future generations is what we do every day at Ecology. We are a culture that is invested in making a difference. If you want to join a team that is highly effective, collaborative, has leadership that embraces the value of people, and believes in the fun factor, Ecology is a good fit.
The Air Quality Program (AQP) is looking to fill a Budget & Finance Officer (Budget Analyst 4) position. The position will be located in our Headquarters Building in Lacey, WA.
The Budget & Finance Officer position serves as a budget expert, coordinating directly with AQP's Budget Manager to assist in managing AQP's budget and accounts as well as directing expenditure of funds from the VW settlement, capital appropriations, and federal and local grants. The position will independently work with AQP section managers and agency budget staff throughout the budget cycle to develop budgets, prepare expenditure plans, monitor spending, and make recommendations to support program management decisions.
We are looking for applicants who have strong analytical and technical skills, enjoy working in Microsoft Excel, are detail oriented, and have great problem solving and customer service skills.
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington's environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism and accountability.
To learn more about The Department of Ecology, please visit our website at www.ecology.wa.gov and follow, like or visit us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or our blog.
Local efforts... Diverse people... Statewide impacts
Agency Mission: Ecology's mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington's environment and to promote the wise management of our air, land and water for the benefit of current and future generations.
Program Mission: The Air Quality Program's mission is to protect, preserve and enhance the air quality of Washington to safeguard public health and the environment, and support high quality of life for current and future generations. The Air Quality Program's vision is clean, healthy air for all of Washington. Our goal is to identify, prevent and minimize air pollution.
Some of the key work activities of the Budget & Finance Officer position are:
- Acts and participates as a senior budget specialist in program and agency budget and finance activities.
- Develops complex expenditure forecasts, spending plans, expenditure tracking tools and assists in developing detailed program financial allotments.
- Prepares reports, completes analysis, and briefs Program Management Team on financial status and progress in executing program spending plans, and recommends adjustments as necessary.
- Uses statewide budget and financial management systems (Salary Projection System, allotment systems, budget reporting systems, etc.).
- Understands, manages, analyzes, and accurately reports large amounts of fiscal data using a variety of tools – statewide financial reporting systems (Enterprise Reporting, Web Intelligence).
- Serves as program expert and resource for Ecology financial reporting and management systems, advanced EXCEL spreadsheet formulas and functions, WORD, PowerPoint, and SharePoint. This includes current systems and tools as well as the ability to learn and become expert as systems are modified or new systems are deployed.
- Applies expertise to the interpretation of budget and financial management source documents, such as budget bills and capital project lists and provide guidance to program managers on these documents.
- Serves as program expert in Air Quality Program's Chart of Accounts. Responsible for developing AQP's chart of accounts each biennium and responding to requests to create new codes.
- Participates and acts as a senior budget specialist for Legislative Activities.
- Serves as program lead and resource for Air Quality Program's revenue sources and fee structures.
- Leads the financial planning and monitoring for Federal Grants, Private/Local Agreements, and Interagency Agreements.
- Leads the financial planning and monitoring for the Volkswagen settlement funds.
- Leads financial planning and monitoring for the Diesel and Woodsmoke Capital Grant Programs.
Interesting aspects of the position......
- This position is a great opportunity to work with a high achieving team and build a foundation in Ecology's complex budget and statewide budget system.
- This position is an opportunity to join the work of Ecology's mission to protect, preserve, and enhance Washington's environment!
A great opportunity......
Our highly effective, innovative team is looking for our newest teammate! We are looking for applicants who have strong analytical and technical skills, enjoy working in Microsoft Excel, are detail oriented, and have great problem solving and customer service skills. You will work closely with our Air Quality Budget Manager and our Senior Program Planner in supporting the development and management of the program budget and lead financial planning and implementation for statewide expenditures of $112.7 million in funds from a settlement agreement. This position is a great opportunity to work with a great team and build a foundation in Ecology's complex budget and statewide budget systems.
This recruitment will remain open until filled. The initial screening will be May 22, 2020. In order to be considered for the initial screening, please submit an application on or before May 21, 2020. The agency reserves the right to make an appointment any time after the initial screening date.
A Bachelor's degree or higher in business, public administration, accounting, economics, statistics or allied field AND five (5) years of professional experience in budget, finance, management, cost analysis, program analysis, accounting or related fields.
One (1) year as a Budget Analyst provided the bachelors degree or higher as per above has been achieved.
- Experience performing duties in a state agency accounting or budget.
- Experience working with automated statewide budget/allotment or financial reporting systems.
- Knowledge of and experience working with the automated statewide fiscal note system.
- Knowledge of and experience working with federal grants.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience developing and maintaining a chart of accounts.
Why work for Ecology?
Joining Ecology means becoming a part of a team committed to protecting and restoring Washington State's environment.
A career in public service allows you to help solve some of the most challenging problems facing our state, while keeping the health and financial security of you and your family a priority. We combine one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation with a strong commitment to work/life balance.
Ecology employees may be eligible for the following:
Medical/Dental/Vision for employee & dependent(s), Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), Vacation, Sick, and other Leave*, 11 Paid Holidays per year*, Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Tuition Waiver, Long Term Disability & Life Insurance, Deferred Compensation Programs, Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP), Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA), Employee Assistance Program, Commute Trip Reduction Incentives (Download PDF reader), Combined Fund Drive, SmartHealth
Student debt and how working for Ecology can help
Employees may be eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program, which forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer. See https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more details.
*See the Benefits tab in this announcement for more information
Please include the following documents as an attachment to your application:
- A cover letter describing how your experience, skills and abilities meet the required qualifications of this position.
- A resume outlining your professional experience.
- Please to do NOT include your salary history. Wage/salary depends on qualifications or rules of promotion, if applicable.
Please complete the applicant profile when applying for this position. Or, you may paste the text of your resume within the profile's resume text field.
Please read the supplemental questions carefully and answer completely. Incomplete responses, including "please see resume" may disqualify you from further consideration.
Department of Ecology employees, please make sure to answer the agency-wide questions regarding permanent status as a classified employee within the Washington General Service or Washington Management Service. Do not forget to select Department of Ecology as a response to question 2, and type your personnel ID number for question 3. If you are not sure of your status or do not know your personnel ID number, please contact Human Resources at (360) 407-6186.
If you are reading this announcement in print format, please visit www.careers.wa.gov
to access the online recruitment system. Click on "Look for Jobs" and select Dept. of Ecology under the "Department" search list. Click "Apply Search."
If you need assistance applying for this job, please call Human Resources at (360) 407-6186 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please do not call this number or send an email to this address to follow-up on the status of your application. You can view the latest status of your application on your profile's main page.
If you have specific questions about the position, please email Matthew Vandrush-Borgacz at: email@example.com
. Please do not contact Matthew to inquire about the status of your application.
The act of submitting application materials electronically is considered affirmation that the information is complete and truthful. The state may verify this information and any untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if employed.
This position is included in the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) union bargaining unit for the Department of Ecology.
The Washington State Department of Ecology is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application/testing process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call (360) 407-6186. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Please apply online at: