This position designs and delivers cloud-based solutions to address business and technology gaps; supports advancement of cloud computing; advances innovation agenda by identifying emerging cloud technologies and applicable opportunities to drive value through the adoption of public cloud technologies; manages the effects of architectural decisions to the cost model for public cloud services; supports technology components and supporting services; conceptualizes, documents, and communicates solutions to meet District objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serves as a technology expert who can advise District staff and stakeholders with the design and delivery of cloud-based solutions; combines Compute, Network, Storage, Hybrid Integration, Cloud Orchestration, Collaboration, Data Management, tools, and monitoring into public cloud solutions to address business and technology gaps; supports advancement of cloud computing.
- Provides operational support and guidance to District staff and key stakeholders and end users to support the management and use of cloud solutions; recommends effective and efficient cloud system use; monitors the cloud environment related to growth and performance.
- Supports Proof of Concept (POC) as a valid evaluation process for an organization to evaluate itself internally and at proposed projects and acquisitions; demonstrates financial viability with extensive research and review; documents District case and actively participates in evaluations.
- Analyzes and identifies applications for cloud assessment, mapping workloads across Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and private clouds; provides policy based cloud computing services; leads the migration projects; provides cloud based switch, fabric, and storage network configurations including zoning, masking, and mapping of storage in an enterprise cloud based storage environment.
- Ensures proper integration between software applications and infrastructure architecture; ensures solutions are maintained for high availability, scalability, security, and supportability.
- Researches, plans, and implements changes to prevent/circumvent problems and enhance the overall computing environment with regards to cloud system security, stability, and usability.
- Implements and hosts large, complex workloads, for both windows and non-windows, in a cloud computing platform, Azure, and IaaS; configures correct virtual machine (VM) size and storage selection within another computing environment; administers all areas of cloud based storage.
- Researches, analyzes tests, and implements cloud platform and storage technologies in a heterogenous storage and server environment; implements cloud solutions management strategies, procedures, and documentation.
- Analyzes on premise cost and Azure cost; arrives at total cost of ownership (TCO)/return on investment (ROI) calculations and business case for cloud.
- Implements and configures/re-platforms large database solutions in Azure using a structure language query (SQL) server.
- Applies hybrid connectivity between Azure and on premise using virtual networks, virtual private network (VPN), and Express Route, an Azure service that allows creation of private connections between Microsoft datacenters and infrastructure.
- Assist in driving the decisions that will transform the future of data and computational sciences to include cloud resources; bring together multiple petabyte datasets in the District for analysis on cloud computing resources; develops world class collaborative and hybrid cloud environments for the District.
- Supports the system and user acceptance testing activities, including issue resolution.
- Writes technical and functional specifications for documents, reports, and POCs; provides reports to District stakeholders on progress of tasks assigned; ensures critical items are escalated, as appropriate.
- Provides estimates of time for completion of assigned tasks to appropriate District staff and/or administrator and stakeholders; records actual time used.
OTHER JOB DUTIES:
- Maintains and updates knowledge and skills required for success in the position by participating in professional development activities as needed or assigned.
- Assists appropriate department staff during peak workloads and absences; provides backup assistance for other technical support staff for special projects when assigned.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Regular, reliable, predictable attendance or physical presence is an essential job requirement and critical to the performance of the work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s degree in computer science, information systems, or related field or compatible vocational-technical training; Bachelor’s degree, preferred.
- Three years of experience with cloud application deployments and lifecycle migrations with varying scope.
- Experience and knowledge of public school environment, preferred.
- Or, any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge skills and ability required to perform the work.
- Valid Washington driver’s license with access to personal transportation.
- Certificates, Licenses, & Registrations for MCSD, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, Server +, preferred.
- Proof of training and/or certification, required, if applicable.
- Fingerprints and successful WSP and FBI background clearance/sexual misconduct clearance.