The Department of Ecology has an exciting opportunity for an administrative professional looking to be a part of our Air Quality Program (AQP) in our Eastern Regional Office (ERO) in Spokane, WA.
The ERO Administrative Assistant (Administrative Assistant 3) position serves as primary assistant to the WMS 2 section manager of the ERO Air Quality Section. In addition to providing a wide range of higher level administrative, secretarial, and other professional level duties this position is responsible for supporting several major program activities including acting as the regional lead in enforcement administrative processes and docket management system (DMS).
We are looking for applicants who possess excellent organizational skills, communications skills, and customer service ethic.
As an agency, we invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism, and accountability.
To learn more about The Department of Ecology, please visit our website at www.ecy.wa.gov and check us out on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or our blog.
The Air Quality Program's mission is to protect, preserve, and enhance the air quality of Washington to safeguard public health and the environment, and support high quality of life for current and future citizens.
Some of the key work activities of the ERO Administrative Assistant include:
Independently provides high level confidential administrative support to the Air Quality Program's (AQP) Eastern Regional Office Section Manager.
- Assists managers with time management by managing calendars and schedules ensuring that calendars are kept up to date and accurate. This includes scheduling internal and external meetings, trainings and events, determining priority of each as necessary.
- Independently prepares specialized fiscal reports for tracking cost recovery permitting and compliance programs. Monitors budget status and reports on extraordinary expenses, training and travel costs, and other specialized budget reports.
- Edits, copies, routes, and assists with confidential and personnel related work of the Section manager. Uses independent judgment to screen calls and visitors, assessing nature and urgency of business, and taking messages or referring to appropriate person.
- Acts as the sections purchasing authority. Researches potential purchase per contracting and or general purchasing requirements, prepares and processes vouchers.
- Schedules monthly Section meetings and prepare monthly reports.
- Finalize all SEPA, CBI, and Permitting documents, for key programmatic efforts by proofreading, formatting, reviewing for completeness, obtaining signatures, and preparing for distribution. Assist with the preparation of technical documents.
- Independently finalizes, tracks, and reports all enforcement/ compliance activity in the 12 county region. This position is considered the regional expert on DMS and trains/mentors other administrative professionals on document development, docket tracking requirements, file development, establishing procedures, and special reports regarding enforcement actions. Responsible to devise and maintain the Section's standards/procedures to ensure adherence to policies regarding enforcement processing.
- Independently prepare correspondence for own or others' signatures, prepare executive correspondence, delegation and other administrative orders, and other assorted external documents.
- Establishes procedures, interprets, and applies administrative policies for the work of the section. Creates, maintains, and updates files, manuals, and mailing lists. Designs, produces, and distributes reports. Establishes office procedures, standards, priorities, and deadlines.
Independently acts as the lead support and data entry administrative assistant for the ERO Air Quality Section
- Assists section and unit managers coordinate the hiring process. This may include scheduling interviews, preparing interview packets, assisting with NeoGOV system and any other related tasks.
- Manages transition for new hires within the section and ensures that necessary paperwork for new hires is completed in a timely manner.
- Coordinates travel arrangements and agency required documentation for managers and staff as needed for attendance at conferences and training, both in and out-of-state.
- Processes employee and supervisor requests for telecommute schedules, alternate work schedules, and VPN requests. Maintain contact information for ERO AQP employees.
- Maintains documents consistent with the retention schedule and works with management and records staff to help ensure that section staff does the same. Coordinate public records and discovery under litigation requests for section managers and staff.
- Finalize all SEPA, CBI, and Permitting documents, for key programmatic efforts by proofreading, formatting, reviewing for completeness, obtaining signatures, and preparing for distribution. Assist with the preparation of technical documents. Develops expertise to assist staff in specific air quality data management systems including AQPPS, C/I Registration, and SharePoint applications.
High school diploma or GED AND three years of increasingly responsible office and administrative experience.
- Knowledge of office procedures and practices; business management, communication and correspondence practices.
- Ability to work independently; read, understand and interpret policies and procedures; develop written reports; work effectively with others; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills and a high level of proficiency using Microsoft's Windows Operating System and Microsoft Office software (including Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint, and Power Point).
Knowledge of office procedures and practices; business management practices, research methods and data collections; communication and correspondence practices; principles and practices of supervision. Ability to work independently; read, understand, and interpret policies and procedures; develop written reports; work effectively with others; communicate effectively, both in writing and speech.
In order to be considered, applicants MUST attach the following documents as an attachment to their application:
- A cover letter describing how your experience, skills and abilities meet the required/desired qualifications of this position.
- A resume outlining your professional clerical and customer service experience.
Please complete the applicant profile when applying for this position. Or, you may paste the text of your resume within the profile's resume text field.
Please read the supplemental questions carefully and answer completely. Incomplete responses, including "please see resume", may disqualify you from further consideration.
If you are reading this announcement in print format, please visit www.careers.wa.gov
to access the online recruitment system. Click on "Look for Jobs" and select Dept. of Ecology under the "Department" search list. Click "Apply Search."